College Survival Tips

College Survival Tips

Freshman year of college is an academic and social shock to most students. To lessen this shock to new incoming students the current students of Delta State University have shared some of their college survival tips.

• Do NOT use all your flex within the first month of the semester. You will definitely regret it.
  • Don’t sign up for 8 a.m., classes. Avoid those classes like your life depends on it. Seriously.
  • Go out and make new friends. Go to events and meet new people.
  • When you first meet someone, ask them their name and then ask them their snapchat username.
  • Make sure you pack rain boots and a raincoat.
  • Go Greek. Join a fraternity or sorority that you love.
  • Don’t wait until the day before to start on your 15-page research paper.
  • You don’t have to eat in the cafeteria if you don’t want. That’s why they have to-go plates.
  • Get close with the professors that teach within your major’s department. It will help you in the long run.
  • Don’t be afraid to try something different. Change is good.
  • Meet as many members of the opposite sex as possible. It’s great to have options.
  • Go out to parties and have fun. Don’t let your classes stress you out, enjoy yourself. You’re not here just for an education but an experience too.
  • Stay in touch with people that you have become friends with.
  • Be open-minded and respect others’ opinions.
  • On Fried Chicken Wednesday, make sure you come to the café before 12, because after 12 the place is hectic.
  • Set yourself short-term goals. It will definitely motivate you.
  • The Freshman-15 is real. Go to the gym, run the walking trial, or jog to your classes. Just do something.
  • Buy your textbooks from Amazon or Chegg. The bookstore is way overpriced.
  • Buy your textbooks before classes start so that you won’t be waiting on a book to be delivered when the professor starts assigning work.
  • If you have a car, lay down the rules. You are not obligated to give everyone who asks for a ride, a ride.
  • Apply for an on-campus job. It’s flexible with student schedules and you get extra money in your pocket.
  • Don’t skip classes just to sleep, no matter how bad you want to. Attendance is very important in classes.
  • If you have to skip class, make sure you don’t miss anything too important and keep up with the number of times you skip, because you don’t want to fail a class only because you missed 5 days.
  • You don’t have to be best friends with your roommate. It’s not necessary. You guys just have to be considerate of each other.
  • If you are going to drink, don’t drink to a point where you are unable to control yourself. Be safe.
  • Please avoid taking too many classes in one day. It will drain the life out of you.
  • Join an organization that peaks your interest that way you can do what you like and meet new people.
  • It’s okay to change your major. Don’t be stuck doing something that you really hate doing.
  • Don’t beat yourself up about classes. As long as you’re trying your best, that’s all that matters.
  • If you feel that transferring schools is a better option for you then go for it. that way you can do what you like and meet new people.
  • If you feel that transferring schools is a better option for you then go for it. You don’t have to limit yourself.
  • Talk to your family remembers at least once a week.

These are just a few tips provided by Delta State Students. Feel free to share your college survival tips on one of our social sites.