The Light at the End of the Tunnel

Gloomy tunnel leading to the rotating light. May symbolise way to heaven after death.

Okay, take a deep breath, everyone, because we’re nearly there! The tunnel we thought would never end is finally revealing the bright glow of the outside world. In other words, the world that doesn’t involve college or school or classes. A world where there is nothing but mornings spent sleeping in, hanging out with friends, preparing for Christmas, opening presents, and the countdown for New Years. Admit it. You’re totally ready for this semester to be done.

I’m beyond excited for these last two weeks to be finished so I can just finally take that deep breath and relax for a month or so. If there is one thing that has hit me hard this semester, is the intense amount of stress I’ve felt in all my classes. Now, it’s not the teachers’ fault for assigning these projects and assignments as I’m sure many of you would like to believe, but I am sort of at fault, too.

Yes, I think professors should try to keep in mind that while their class is indeed important and students shouldn’t put their class on the backburner; we also have other classes, assignments, projects, jobs (work study or not), extracurricular activities, and athletic duties to uphold and do as well. I’m not saying they should change their course syllabus, but they should attempt to give us some breathing room since this whole semester feels like an unforgiving hurricane of assignments and classes.

As for me, well, I think I should have allotted what little time I had left after classes and extracurricular activities to focus more on homework. Despite the fact that the only time I got a good night’s sleep was during the weekends as I stayed up trying to finish up what I could until four in the morning. A lot of us have probably pulled an all-nighter trying to finish an assignment or project before tomorrow when it’s due. The stress to complete it, to study for a test or midterm, and to keep our GPA up by the end of semester is really difficult to handle. I’m very stubborn and hardworking so I could literally work myself down into the ground and not realize it until I collapse. Not the healthiest way to go when trying to finish what needs to be done or dealing with stress, but it worked for me for a little while.

Here is how I deal with my stress levels now and will, hopefully, work for you in these last two weeks:

• Don’t be afraid to stop what you’re doing. Yes, it’s hard to take that 30-minute break when the assignment is due tomorrow or at midnight, but your brain needs the mental breather. Eat a snack or take a minute to check Facebook. Do something that will take your mind off your homework for a while.
  • You must eat something. Don’t skip meals. Your body needs nutrients believe it or not, and skipping breakfast, lunch, or dinner will not help you concentrate. Believe me.
  • Don’t skip ahead in what you have to do next. Focus on the now. Thinking about what all you have to do and how little time you have to do it will only stress you out more until you have a mental breakdown. Take a deep breath and just worry about your current assignment. One step at a time.
  • Talk to someone. Your friends, your parents, or even a professor you’re close with. They’ll be willing to lend an ear when you feel like the world is literally trying to crush you with its problems.
  • There’s no such thing as putting it off for later. Don’t procrastinate or you will regret it later. Complete what’s been assigned then move on to the next thing as soon as it is handed out. Maybe even working ahead to next day’s work.
  • Finals are going to be tough and long, but that doesn’t mean you should spend your whole time studying. You need to eat, sleep, and relax time. We’re not machines. We need a break or we’ll breakdown faster than you’d like to believe. Also, feel free to hangout with your friends or create group study sessions.

Good luck to everyone this week and during finals! I know it’s taxing in the last week, but the light at the end of the tunnel is right there! You can do it! Just think about all the days afterward you can spend watching Netflix or spending time with friends and family back at home. I’m already dreaming about it and it’s only Monday!