The Last of a Dying Breed

Every graduating senior, whether in college or high school, has foregone what is called “senioritis”. According to UrbanDictionary.com, senioritis is the crippling disease that strikes high school seniors. If I may add to that definition, it also strikes college students such as myself.

The website also stated symptoms one may experience when having senioritis which includes, but not limited to: “laziness, an over-excessive wearing of track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants, athletic shorts, and sweatshirts. Also features a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as graduation.”

Well, I hope graduation is the cure because I am ready to get out of here!  I do think the Urban Dictionary forgot to mention stress. Although this is one of my most laidback semesters, this is definitely my most stressful one to say the least.

Nevertheless, being fully aware that this is my last semester as an undergraduate student at Delta State University is quite bittersweet. This school has transformed me into a hardworking, self-driven, and fiery young woman.

Being one-half of the last two journalism students at DSU that will ever have the honor of being under the late Patricia Roberts’ wing saddens me. The fact that incoming students will not be able to major in journalism breaks my heart even more. In my opinion, cutting the journalism program was a huge mistake. Cutting the print publication of The Delta Statement (which is an award-winning publication) was heartbreaking as well; however, a digital publication isn’t so bad, right? I mean, at least we still have a publication.

Back to the topic(s) at hand: writing and graduation. I’ll start with writing.

I always loved writing, but it was Roberts who helped me find my passion for journalism.

Roberts embodied the true meaning of what a real badass journalist was. She did not care about what others thought of her, and she was the epitome of strength. I can remember like it was yesterday, when she told one of our classes about how she used to report on very controversial issues in different countries. She explained to us her different experiences, and how people would be so upset with her—even threatened her—when she reported the truth.

It was that moment when I realized I wanted to shed light and bring truth to power for people who did not have a voice or were too afraid to use theirs. This conversation alone was what made me fall in love with journalism.

Whether it was one-on-one conversations or lessons she taught during class, Roberts made sure to instill those things she learned—from being a student and experiencing life—in every one of her students. If it were not for her guidance, mentorship, and straight-forwardness, I would have never continued with the journalism program. The best would be an understatement to describe her.

Throughout my time here at DSU, I have been involved in many different organizations, but my favorite one of all, is the Statement. This has given me an outlet to talk with students, faculty, staff, community leaders, etc., and has took me places I thought I would never go. I have also won a few awards. How cool is that?

I will miss my peers who I have grown fond of over the years, and a few teachers who are no longer at DSU. I have to mention current DSU teachers, Dr. Sally Paulson, Will Jacks, and Mike Smith, who has had quite an influence on me.

I will miss going to football games and basketball games to support my Statesmen and Lady Statesmen. I will even miss grabbing Chik-Fil-A in between classes before the rush hours.

I must say, I won’t miss the Delta flooding because when it floods—it really floods!

Ultimately, DSU has taught me many things I will carry on with me in my future endeavors such as remaining true to who I am; being able to network in diverse situations; and appreciating a quality education.

So, what lies next for me after graduation? Hmm. You would like to know wouldn’t you? Just know wherever I go, journalism will not be too far behind.

I reiterate, I am one-half of the last two journalism students at DSU. I am the last of a dying breed.