Big Changes in Store for DSU BSU

New Director at the BSU

The Baptist Student Union (BSU) at Delta State is kicking off the semester with a new Director, Andrew “Kappy” Kappenman.

Kappenman came to be apart of the BSU at Delta State University from Hernando, Mississippi. He graduated from the University of Southern Mississippi and has been involved with collegiate student ministries since his graduation.

Packed and ready to fly across seas to minister, Kappenman received an unexpected phone call from the Mississippi Baptist College Director. He was asked if he would be interested in the position of new Director of BSU and moving to Cleveland, Miss. His response, “At the time, not really,” but his mind would soon be changed.

In an interview, Kappenman described that he met with the Director and heard the vision of the BSU organization, he then knew that, “the Lord was leading my family to Cleveland,” Kappenman decided to pack up his family and take this meaningful blessing that had been offered to him.

Being the new Director of BSU, Kappenman stated that his plan is to, “solidify what the BSU really is” and most importantly, “to share Christ.” Along with these plans, the Baptist Student Union is in the process of receiving much-needed improvements to their home building.

Kappenman expressed the BSU is an, “inviting place for students to come use our WiFi, have a place that’s quiet (most of the time) when people aren’t screaming playing ping-pong.” It could also be, “a place to come do your homework or just come hang out for a second between or after classes.”

In addition, there is another fresh face for our BSU—Josh Warren, a former DSU graduate, who holds the title of the new Associate Director. Warren described his experience as, “It is real cool being back and doing ministry with Kappy and his family. It’s nice that we’re in it together, and we’re not alone. I have a brother with me constantly. Iron sharpens iron, so that is what our desire is.”

Ultimately, Kappenman insists that, “We at the BSU want to make sure we are here for the students at Delta State. We are put here to invest in them. We want to be a part of campus. We want to see a change, not only here in this building, but on this campus. That is our drive.”

Both new Director and Associate Director, Andrew Kappenman and Josh Warren, strive to share Christ amongst DSU campus and continue to strengthen our BSU.

The BSU meets every Monday night at 6:30 p.m., for worship and Bible study at the Baptist Student Center. All students are welcome.

Want more info on BSU? Visit their website: http://www.bsudsu.org/