Student Shutdown

While the government shutdown hasn’t affected the financial aid department, there were some programs that were affected by the shutdown.

The current government shutdown has affected DSU students and the programs that many of them rely on.

According to Christie Rocconi, the director of the Financial Aid Department, the shutdown did not affect the financial aid that students were able to receive it merely delayed it and caused some slight problems with the timing of new arrivals to DSU.

Katie Stroup, the assistant director of the financial aid department said that they “worked hand in hand with students to make sure that the shutdown didn’t affect them.” Furthermore, Rocconi revealed that the only thing that she knew was affected is the IRS requirements.

While the government shutdown hasn’t affected the financial aid department, there were some programs that were affected by the shutdown. Some student jobs have been affected which has impacted some students greatly.

Claire Foster was unable to get a job as a student instructor due to the shutdown. The shutdown had a marked effect on the funds that were available for the student instructor jobs, meaning that the position that she applied for was no longer available. Foster said she was told that “if the government opened up again soon” she’d get the job, but she has her doubts. Foster was looking forward to the position as it would have clarified whether or not she wanted to pursue a career in teaching and would also have helped her out a great deal financially. Being a full-time student, she can only work at her job as a hotel’s front desk agent three days a week.

These events have greatly changed Foster’s view of the government as a whole. No longer optimistic about our current administration, she believes that the government no longer cares for the people that it’s supposed to.

When asked about the subject, Foster had this to say: “I don’t think the government thinks about college programs, otherwise all of this would have been taken into consideration. The extra income would have helped me survive the semester because all of my refund goes to bill and rent…”

We can only wonder how many other students are in similar situations due to the shutdown and how many other positions that would have helped are now unavailable.