Zetas Embrace Finer Womanhood Week

The Psi Kappa chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., hosted their Finer Womanhood Week starting Jan. 31, 2016 through Feb. 4, 2016.

Shalisa Jackson, president and treasurer of her chapter, explained that Finer Womanhood Week is a week that the Zetas set aside to participate in community service and other events that help them portray the principles they were founded on which are scholarship, service, sisterhood, and finer womanhood.

“This is a week we set aside to exemplify our principles throughout not only the campus, but also the surrounding communities,” Jackson said. “Most of our events are welcome to the public, and we encourage everyone to come out or even if they have ideas to share. Share them with us, and maybe we could try to fulfill some of those ideas.”

Jackson said their week started on Sunday, and they picked a local church here in Cleveland to fellowship with. Monday, in the union, they had their 1st annual March of Dimes Dime-Off. “It was for all of the Greek fraternities and sororities to come together in a competitive way to raise Dimes for the cause,” she said. “This event was very successful and fun because we got to work together.”

Tuesday, they initially planned to have a bonfire at the Greek tree, but it was cancelled due to weather. “This was going to be a way for my sisters and I to bond and have a down day [while] being able to hang out with students from around the campus,” Jackson said.

Wednesday, they scheduled a fundraiser day. “We tried to partner with one of the local restaurants to raise money for our chapter to be able to do more within the community.”

Thursday was their day of scholarship. “We made plans to visit Parks Elementary School to help tutor some of the local students,” she said.

Jackson noted that the Psi Kappa chapter is glad to be a part of such a wonderful campus, and they plan to do a lot more around the campus area to boost Greek awareness and student involvement.