The Delta Statement

FOUND IN DITCH IN CLARKSDALE, MISSISSIPPI

In Coahoma County, a body of an unknown black male was found alongside a residential roadway in a ditch during the early morning hours on Tuesday by children waiting for the school bus.

Arriving at the bus stop that morning was unlike any other; however, a black man in his late 20’s lied face down in the ditch. The children, in a state of horror, ran back home to let their parents know what they saw at the school bus stop. At that point, it was reported to the authorities.

Official reports indicate that the deceased was not murdered but suffered a heart attack and fell into the ditch. Authorities believe he was attempting to relieve himself when he suffered the heart attack as he was found with his pants at his ankles. Officials have withheld information on the man’s identity.

For children to witness a traumatic event like this would cause some type of mental illness if not but temporarily. The children who found the body in such a state elevated the level of anxiety they felt at the bus stop. Hopefully, the children were able to seek the appropriate therapy and the help they need to get back to their normal state of mind and the ability to wait for the school bus again without duress. At the time of this report, no statements for either parties—family of the deceased and the parents of children—were given.

About the Writer
Merissa Pittman, Staff Writer
Merissa Pittman is an English Major originally from Clarksdale but has also lived in Oxford, Mississippi. Having moved from Mississippi to Oklahoma for school, Merissa chose to return to the Delta to complete her further education and to follow in her father’s footsteps by graduating from Delta State University. She also has a passion for psychology and enjoys reading works on the subject; she plans to eventually transfer these skills into law school. As both a devoted student and mother, Merissa splits her time between obtaining her major whilst also raising her 4-year-old son, encouraging him to read as well as play soccer.

-Bio by Tasha Toms, Staff Writer