DSU to Host DA Awards Ceremony

(From Left to Right: Sarah Fortenberry, Alecia Wilson, Kole Oakes, Jess Bennett, and Nick Houston | Photographer: Aallyah Wright)

Delta State’s literary magazine, Da, formerly known as Confidante, will be having an awards reading on Wednesday, Feb. 17, in the Capps Archives and Museum from 4:00-5:30.

The winning students and honorable mentions are Kole Oakes, Jess Bennett, Nick Houston, Laurel Breeland, Alecia Wilson, Sarah Fortenberry, and Julian Drake. The winning categories are fiction, poetry, informal essay and formal essay. Bennett, an English and History major, will be reading a poem titled “Naturalistic Seasons,” a creative nonfiction piece titled “Animals Don’t Believe in Mercy,” and excerpts from a short story titled “The Whiteness of the Whale.” He placed second place in fiction and informal essay and received an honorable mention for his poem.

“It feels nice to have won,” Bennett said, “When I wrote these pieces, I was attempting to convey themes that resonated with me. Since some of these pieces placed in the contest, this means that I have conveyed these themes in a way that resonates with others.”

He said students should come hear all the talented writers that placed, and it would be a shame for them to go unheard. He also said students should send in their pieces fearlessly, and he recommends “students bring their pieces by the Writing Center.” Houston, an English major, will be reading two poems “All Trains,” which he placed first place for, and “Black Boy,” an honorable mention.

Houston said it “feels amazing” to have won. “It’s good to know that Delta State utilizes its resources to acknowledge the arts programs in such a gratifying manner,” Houston said. He said it would benefit people to come to the reading whether it be for “inspiration, excellent writings, or even just to have a good time.”

“Don’t pressure or force yourself to write,” Houston also said. “Writing is an ever-changing process and if you keep at it, you will eventually produce great work.”