Behind the Scenes: DSU Club Life

+Group+collaboration+is+key+to+communicating+as+a+student+body+as+well+as+agreeing+on+the+best+ways+to+execute+event+planning%2C+budgeting+and+more.+

Group collaboration is key to communicating as a student body as well as agreeing on the best ways to execute event planning, budgeting and more.

According to the Delta State website, there are over one hundred extracurricular student organizations on campus.

The interest topics include topics such as academics, community service and volunteer work, and Greek life. 

Resources online confirm that these organizations reflect the university and its academic strength. Students are encouraged to be more socially involved and attain unique skills.

Students who diligently balance clubs and course work often want to share their experiences with those uninformed. 

The Experience

Synethia Mathews, President of Phi Beta Lambda, comments, “Our members always find unique opportunities to serve and contribute to our community and school.” 

There are various annual events within Phi Beta Lambda. March of Dimes, for example, helps improve the health of mothers and their children as well as breast cancer awareness month in October.

Another advantage to student organizations is “the value of networking and building relationships” with the other student members, Matthews adds. Different grade classifications, backgrounds and academic career paths become blended.

“Phi Beta Lambda is not a club just for business majors. Here at DSU, we also have psychology, elementary education, DMI, and Sports Management majors in our club,” Mathews reports. 

Because of  the need to grow and explore new opportunities on campus, students at Delta State have taken the necessary steps to pursue and establish meaningful extracurricular activities. 

New Ideas, New Organizations

New student clubs can register during the annual process on Aug. 1. This is also the time to apply to host events on campus and apply for funding.

In order to be recognized, students must write a letter stating a purpose statement and a constitution explaining the roles of their members. The students must turn in officers’ and the organization advisor’s contact information.

Once submitted to the Director of Student Life, approval by the Vice President of Student Affairs, Dr. Bennett, is granted.

Students must submit the Facility Reservation and Calendar Form approximately seven days prior to the planned event.

There is a time restriction table that lays out the allotted times for events per day. Security fees will apply, if needed. 

Organizations are responsible for attendees and participants at events. They must plan the execution and conclusion of those events and have an effective budget. 

One of the main requirements an organization must uphold is to keep their contact information updated with the Office of Student Life. 

With the assistance of online resources, the Office of Student Life and dedicated students leading by example, students will have all the information they need to choose the organization that’s right for them. 

More information on the essentials for establishing and maintaining an organization in good standing can be found in the Student Organizations Handbook – Delta State University